I Had Bariatric Surgery—Twice

Corrigan McBride, MD, a bariatric surgeon, has herself undergone weight loss surgery two times.

Corrigan McBride, MD

I’m Corrigan McBride, MD and I am a bariatric surgeon at The Nebraska Medical Center. My story isn’t too different from my patients. About 10 years ago, I was about 75 pounds overweight. I had knee problems. I had started seeing an orthopaedic surgeon who gave me two options—either lose weight or have knee surgery.

Honestly, if I was my own patient, I would have told myself to lose the weight. My cholesterol and my blood sugar were both going up. I was on the path to heart disease, diabetes.

I wanted to get to a much healthier place. I wanted to have a family. I needed to lose the weight.

So I had lap band surgery in 2004—and it was a very good tool for me. I lost about 40 pounds, and that was enough to see the health improvements I wanted. My knees didn’t bother me; my cholesterol and blood sugar improved.

And because I had lap band vs. another surgery, I could get pregnant within the next year if I wanted to. With the other surgeries, you have to wait a bit longer—which I didn’t want to do.

Fast-forward a few years: I got married, and gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. Everything was great. But then the band slipped—which is relatively rare, but it does happen. There were a couple of options to re-do the surgery. I decided to have the gastric sleeve–a surgery in which 80 percent of your stomach is removed.  And it’s worked wonderfully—as I’ve lost a significant amount of weight. I’m still losing!

Here’s my point…

I can tell you from personal experience—bariatric surgery is a great weight-loss tool. But there’s nothing magic about these surgeries. Yes, problems can be corrected. But when it comes to weight loss, you still have to count calories. You still have to burn calories. You still have to exercise.

The surgeries perform one important function—they let you take in fewer calories. Your hunger is satisfied with less food. Fabulous! Each surgery limits intake in a different way. But it does happen.

But—as I said–you still need to count calories. There’s no getting around it. You can’t keep eating the way you used to. You’ve got to eat lots of lean protein, lots of vegetables, a few fruits. And you’ve got to exercise if you want to keep losing weight.

Luckily, today we’ve got smartphone apps that can help keep us on track. More about that later. Believe me, if I can do this—lose the weight—so can you. I’m so happy I had bariatric surgery. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

Corrigan McBride, MD

To make an appointment with Corrigan McBride, MD or for a consultation at the Bariatrics Center, please call 800-922-0000.

142 Responses to “I Had Bariatric Surgery—Twice”

1. tina

Would you recommend having my gall bladder removed at the same time as the gastric sleeve surgery

• twilson

Hi Tina… We’re getting in touch with the doctor to have her respond to your question. Thanks for your submission.

Tina
        I do not routinely recommend removing the gallbladder unless you are having symptoms and it is something we should discuss at your evaluation.

• Linda Dawson

Feb 14 2014 I have a gastric bypass .One year later I have my full baddler remove and three surgery for intestine problem. My lowest weight got too 100 pound from 263 pound that was to skinny so I started eating bad to gain some weight, now am 144pound two year later what can I do to stop gaining scare am getting fat again please help.

2. opal schaupp

I just want to thank Dr. McBride for the great care she gave to me when my band need to be re moved and also ask how long after I get the wound vac off would I have to wait to have the sleeve done and how many days would I be in the hospital for this procedure. Melisa Stade doesn’t do the sleeve in Scottsbluff. Jason Walsch does the gastric by pass. I dont know if I would even consider try a band again. I would appreciate your advice on this matter I am thinking about coming back to Omaha but it is 1000 mile round tripi
    was very satisfied with my care.
    Opal schaupp
    nurselpnc02@gmail.com

Opal-
      In general I would recommend waiting 6 weeks to 6 months after a band is removed before having another weight loss surgery depending on why the band was removed. There are multiple options after a band has come out but in general I would not recommend a new band because of the risk of recurrence of the whatever caused the first band to fail.
      I do not want to share your personal history on the internet but would be happy to talk to you about the options.

• asqalan

I appreciate your experience
        I’m a doctor I need the reference of the need to postpone the next bariatic surgery after band removal instead of the doing it in the same surgery \
        I need the reference for a debate

• dave

Hi doctor i have the sleeve done 2 years ago i loss 80 pounds but after 1 1/2 year my stomace gets bigger & i gain back 30 pounds is my question if i can make the sleeve again?

Hello Dave,

3. need help

if you have already had the sleeve, and a year later you need to lose 10 lb. to keep your diabetes from coming back, what would you suggest? exercise, or diet? my tummy is getting bigger, but not the rest of me. thanks

• Dr. McBride

Thanks for the question. I’d recommend both. Diet can help you lose weight, and exercise will improve your overall health whether you lose weight or not. Remember to check with your doctor before making any drastic diet or exercise changes

4. Pamela

In 2001 I was 374lbs and had gastric bypass surgery. I had great sucess with it and lost nearly 200lbs. Over the last 13 years like you, I have been married, brought 2 children into the world, divorced, engaged, lost 2 beautiful children and then brought one more amazing child into the world. Over the years I have gained and lost and gained and lost. I have tried everything, exercise, all the right foods, water, and I loose 10 to 20lbs and now at 37 years old I can’t seem to do it. Would I be a canidate for any of the weight loss surgeries now? Would anyone be willing to help me?

• Nebraska Med

Pamela, we’re so sorry for all the hardships you’ve been through over the years. It’s hard for us to say here whether you’d be a candidate, but we’d certainly love to talk with you (don’t worry – no obligation or charge) and see if there’s a way we can help. Feel free to email us at info@nebraskamed.com and we can arrange for a member of Dr. McBride’s team to call you – or just call us directly at 1-855-412-1300. Thanks for reaching out to us, we hope to hear from you.

5. Elizabeth Tourlamain

Can any one help me

I had a Gastric Sleeve in 2011 I was 238 lbs I lost 84 pounds at first then my weight is gradually creeping up I diet and exercise and drink the water my weight today is 182 pounds did I choose the wright Bariatric Surgery. My sister and my Nice have had a Hypnotic gastric band and are loosing a lot of weight with this would It be safe for me to have this done evin thow I had a sleeve done.
    Please can you help me.

Regards
    Liz

6. Nebraska Med

Hi Liz, it’s hard for us to say whether you’d be a candidate or not from here. As you might know, there’s a lot that goes into determining whether a person is a candidate for surgery. There are other non-surgical weight loss options that might be worth exploring as well. You can give us a call in the Bariatrics Center and we can discuss a few options on the phone or help you make an appointment if you’d like to come in. You can call us directly at 1-855-419-5281

7. Theresa Young

I had the gastric bypass 22yrs ago and am gradually putting weight on in the last 4yrs. Can I have it done again what are my options, I also have live problems I don’t want to die from a fatty liver.

Hi Theresa,
      There are certainly more options now than there were 22 years ago, but it’s hard for us to say what option (if any) would be best for you without more info. There are a lot of factors that determine which course is best. We’d be happy to talk with you on the phone or help you make an appointment. Give us a call at 1-855-419-5281 or email info@nebraskamed.com and we’ll get you connected with one of our experts from the bariatrics center.

• Lisa Trupp

Which is the best bypass to have? I’m going to have it done but I’m confused as to which one is best! Sleeve, lap band or the original bypass?

• Nebraska Med

Lisa, each surgery has different considerations. What might be best for you might not be best for another patient. Our experts can help answer specific questions for you. We’d be happy to talk through some options with you. Give us a call at 1-855-419-5281 or email info@nebraskamed.com. It’s free and there’s no obligation at all.

8. April Boyea

Hi,
    I had gastric bypass 12 years ago…..I was only 16! I have had alot of problems since then…is there anyway i can have another surgery? Any suggestions?? the weight has been put back on and i’ve had twins since then….any advice would help!

• Nebraska Med

Hi April, while it’s possible that another surgery might be right for you, it’s impossible for us to say here. As you may remember from you first operation, there are a lot of things to consider before surgery. We also have a lot of non-surgical options that might be better. We’d need to meet you in person and get some information about you specifically. Everyone is different! Give us a call at 1-855-419-5281 or email info@nebraskamed.com. It’s free and there’s no obligation at all.

9. nicole

I had gastric bypass surgery about 15 years ago had 3 kids I can’t seem to loose weight like when I had surgery can I have the surgery again or one of these new surgeries they came out with since than

• Nebraska Med

Hi Nicole, there are a lot of factors that play into that decision. It’s a hard one for us to assess online. We’d be happy to talk with you on the phone or make an appointment if you’re interested. You can call us at 1-800-922-0000 and we’ll be happy to help.

10. Erika Edwards

I have had a baby in 2011 and was put on an iud I got down 2 175 now I’m 247 which is hard for me bc I was on the iud over 2 yes so I have had gastric bypass in 2009 and what amount of calories should I be in taking with exercise and can I get back 2 175 bc I miss being that small.

Hi Erika,
      Thanks for the question. It’s a tough one for us to answer via the blog, but we’d be happy to talk with you one on one. As you can probably guess, there are a number of factors that can be part of a decision like that. If you’re still in contact with the team that did your first surgery, they may be able to help answer questions about follow up procedures. We’re also happy to help here at Nebraska Medicine too. Feel free to call us at 1-800-922-0000.

Ms. Perez-
      It sounds like you are considering a revision of your gastric sleeve. The sleeve can be revised. If the sleeve is too large it can be re-done to a smaller sleeve. It can also be converted to a gastric bypass. These options are usually considered if a patient has either gastroesophageal reflux disease (otherwise know as heartburn or reflux) or wants to lose more weight to achieve their desired health benefits.

11. Vikram Cherukapally

Hi,
    I am from India . I was around 291 pounds in Mid 2012 , had a sleeve gastroctomy in July 2012 and lost around 80 ponds in 6 months after surgery. However due to stress at work and other factors, have regained some weight and weigh around 235 pounds now. I go to gym 5 days a week. But i some how am unable to reach my goal of around 180 pounds. Was just curious to know if i can get this surgery re done.Appreciate help and suggestion in this regard.

• Dr. McBride

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling to keep your weight off. Sometimes revision surgery is an option. The revisions can include re-doing the sleeve if it has dilated or gotten bigger or converting it to a gastric bypass or to a duodenal switch operations. There are advantages and disadvantages with all revision operations that we could discuss with patients during a consultation. Not all insurance companies will pay for a second surgery so you should check with your insurance company to see if they have any special requirements.

12. joanne

Hi, i had bariatric bypass in 2005 and went from 127.8kg to 62kg. In the past 10 months i have had my weight go back to 107kg. My question is are you able to have (1) bypass surgery again, or (2) can it be reversed and the sleeve done? I am trying to find the best solution for me. Thankyou in advance for your reply

• Dr. McBride

Joanne, This amount of weight re-gain after a gastric bypass is unusual. Depending on the surgical technique used at the time of your surgery it may mean that your stomach has “stretched”. You can not have the gastric bypass “re-done” and we do not usually reverse the gastric bypass and convert to a sleeve, but there may be revision surgery options available. You would need some testing to see how big your stomach is now and a consultation with a dietician to see if you are still eating appropriately for a gastric bypass patient and then we could discuss if there are any surgery options which may help get you back on track. If we can help, please let us know. You can call 1-800-922-0000 for information about scheduling an appointment.

13. L-Jay

Dr. McBride,
    I had the sleeve gastrectomy in December of 2012. Since then, my mother passed and stress and depression kicked in. I stopped smoking and have gained 27lbs. What can I do to fix this? Can I have another surgery?

• Dr. McBride

L-Jay, sorry to hear I am sorry to hear about your mother. Stress can certainly impact weight. Sometimes revision surgery is an option. The revisions can include re-doing the sleeve if it has dilated or gotten bigger or converting it to a gastric bypass or to a duodenal switch operations. There are advantages and disadvantages with all revision operations that we could discuss at a consultation.

14. Carla Mickelson

Dr. McBride,

I have been obese my entire life max weight 340, had a gastric bypass in 2004 (ruo-n-y), lower body lift on 2005. Stress being the killer, I had a hole in the stomach pouch. It was repaired and stomach tightened in 2007.

Fast forward to the fall of 2011, I was diagnosed with MS. I was hospitalized in 2014 over 10 times due to MS, stress and contracting staff/ mercer while in one of my longer hospitalizations. Although my medication list has increased everything basically has stayed the same with the exception of my weight. I have gained back almost 100 pounds

Dr. McBride, is there a weight loss surgery you would recommend with my specific conditions?

I currently am on the East coast (since 1969) and I am willing to travel. As of February 2015, my long term disability has been approved.

Thank you for your time and I look for to your response.

Carla Mickelson

Hi Carla,
      For patients who have had previous weight loss surgery and are struggling to keep weight off, the first steps are to work with a dietician and behavioral program to eliminate all eating patterns and behaviors that might be sabotaging weight loss efforts. Physical activity is also important. I acknowledge this is challenging with your MS but with physical therapy or skilled therapists hopefully options can be found. If there is something wrong with your gastric bypass such as a staple line break down or if your small stomach has reconnected to the part of your stomach you should not be using a revision surgery can be done to help you lose additional weight. If there is nothing wrong with your anatomy then surgery is less likely to be helpful. In general I would not recommend traveling long distances for a surgeon because you need good supporting in a program to be successful and that is best done locally. I would recommend going to the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery website (www.ASMBS.org) find a surgeon and search for someone in your area who performs revision surgery.
      I hope this helps!
      -Dr. McBride

15. Tonya

Hi Dr.

I had gastric bypass in 2006. I Lost over 100 pounds and stabalized at about 140. In 2013 I had gained about 45 pounds back and went and supposedly had a revision surgery. It didnt work at all.I lost about 10 pounds and that’s it. I’m back up to 196 and going into depression. I have tried diet pills and exercise and started eating healthier but nothing is working. Is there am chance of me being able to have another revision? I think the doctor that did my revision basically only removed the portion of my stomach that I wasn’t using and did not do anything to give me that restriction.please advise on what I can do?

Thanks

16. carmen geniz

I have gained weight back after having gastro-bypass nearly 2004. How does; one know if the stomach has unstapled because i try yo loss weight and cant. Can they go in and repair?

Carmen, Tonya,
      There may be medical and surgical options to help you lose this weight. Everyone is different, and in order to help you understand your options we would need more information about your operation, an upper GI X ray to see if your surgery is still intact and diet records to see if you are still following a gastric bypass diet. I would recommend coming in for an revision surgery evaluation so we can talk through the options. You can call for more information or to make an appointment at 1-800-922-0000.

17. yolanda

I had the the band for 5 years then removed it and had gastric bypass i did well i lost over a 100 pounds but the last year i have gained back almost 30pounds can you have a 3rd surgery

• Dr. McBride

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling to keep your weight off. There may be medical and surgical options to help you lose this weight. In order to help you understand your options we would need to have more information including details of your operation, an upper GI X ray to see if your surgery is still intact and diet records to see if you are still following a gastric bypass diet. I would recommend coming in for an revision surgery evaluation so we can talk through the options.

18. Maritzah

Okay so I had my lap band in for about 2 years lost at least 30 pounds and gained the weight back. So now I’m thinking about the sleeve surgery, I have taken xrays and other test to make sure the band was okay. How long will it take for the doctor to approve me for my next surgery?

19. onieda

Hi Dr. Mcbride. I had a RY gastric bypass in 2002 and lost about 120 lbs. I didnt have a support group at the time. In 2011 I had a hystrectomy. I begin working out and eating right, but the weight gain started and i have almost gain back all my weight. The Doctor that perform my gastric bypass Is no longer a bariatric surgeon, and i wanted to know what are my chances of having revision surgery, maybe a duodenal switch

• Dr. McBride

I’m sorry to hear that you have not been able to keep your weight off. There are multiple reasons this can happen depending on your eating and exercise habits but also depending on the surgical technique used by your surgeon in 2002.
      In order to determine if a surgical revision is possible, I would need to review the operative note from your surgery to review the surgical technique and staplers used. You would also need to have tests to see if you gastric bypass was still intact or if it had streached out.
      Once I know those things we can talk about the risks and benefits of surgical revision including the duodenal switch. I’d be happy to make an appointment with you – you can call us at 1-800-922-0000 or make an appointment via our website http://www.nebraskamed.com.

20. Janet

Dr. Mcbride,
    Is it possible to have the gastric sleeve done more than once?

21. Tanya Arriazola

I got sleeved in Dec.2012 my weight was 183 ,but I’m 4’10 .I am 147 now and never met my goal of 125.I have stayed at 147 for the past year .What can I do to start loosing again? I know people that have been over 250 and are wearing size 8.I went from a 18 to 12-14 doesn’t seem fair.

• m.kascoi

hi Tanya, I know what you mean I’m in the same boat and I don’t know if I did something wrong with my over eating but! really I didn’t if just been very stressed and I’m platitude also I’m 4.9.5 ft tall only too so I’m very upset I cry alot about it I work out at least 3/5 a week and only eat grilled foods nothing fried I still have that reflex asufaugas every night I’m thinking iv might of stretched it btw I had the sleeve ,I started out with my pregnancy weight I got up to 207lb I’m down to well was down to about 165lb an now for the past half year I’m putting on weight slowly I’m very upset about it of all the hardship we had to indore for getting out life back I my self before I got pregnant in my thirty years of my life before that I was a pretty thin person about 115lb on bad day so you see where I’m going with my story iv been strogaling for over 17 years almost my one and only mirrical baby boy wiall be gradgulatig next year please if you get any answers that might help me please share… oh yes the weight if put back on is 10lbs…

22. Petunia

Hello Dr. I am 35 and have been contemplating having the lap band procedure for years. I have been 265 for 7 + years. Recently my doctor said my gallbladder will need to be removed. Can I have both procedures done at the same time? I have had gout, and planter fasciitis due to my weight.

• Dr. McBride

If you are considering bariatric surgery sometimes it can safely be combined with gallbladder surgery on a case by case basis.

It depends on your size, your previous surgeries and the exact bariatric operation you want to have done.

In general I do not recommend combining a Lap Band ® or other adjustable gastric banding surgery with gallbladder surgery because the Lap Band ® is a artificial device and has a higher risk of infection if you combine it with an operation such as gallbladder surgery, but it is something that can be discussed at your initial consultation.

23. Peachis

This story is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing. I think its awesome that you’ve had this surgery and you help people accomplish the same thing. I have my first appointment in a couple weeks and I am so anxious and really hope that I get to do this. I have been overweight all my life, and I’m ready to take the next step.

24. m.kascoi

Hi Dr.McBride my question is I feel like my sleeve has stretched but not nesseseraly from food I don’t drink pops but I did drink mineral water that did contain a lot of gas like you what the term word oh sorr y bubbly waters oh OK corbonated I think iv might of spelled it wrong llol ….. please tell me if I can do anything to retighten my sleeve I feel like I could eat a whole plate of food at one meal which I never did the I would accuratelay eat that one plate of foood through out the day in spiting it into 3/4 meals and then I would snack on nuts and protein bars im in on my third year this fall 2015 and I’m beeting my self up over my failure I wieghed to start my choosing sleeve over the g/bypass I guess I was afraid 205lbs the day of surgery I was 187 lbs and went down to 165lbs and now slowly in a half a year if put back 8/12 lbs is weird one day I’m 174lbs and a couple of days letter I’m 177lbs btw I also have a problem with acid reflex and really bad case of IRS what can I do I have no support or any family that I can talk to about this please I need your advice….

25. m.kascoi

hi hello I just wanted to know can I have stretching my sleeve I think I have it stretched drenched not from over eating over eating but from drinking the carbonated non surgery drinks I’m feeling hungry all the time and most of all at night I can’t sleep do to my acute acid reflex and a really bad case of IBS is the a way I can fix it without sugary and in total if only lost about 30/40lbs going on my third year this fall 2015 please advice???

26. Carol

Hi, I had gastric 12 years ago I never lost a ton of weight only 30/35lb recently I went back to see if I could get a revision and I found out that my surgeon left a metal clamp inside of me and it cause an infection inside my stomach and I have to take medication now. I was told that they only person that could look at my pouch to make sure it was ok was the Dr. Who originally did the surgery when I went to him he stated that the pouch was fine and it was nothing he could do. How can I trust the opinion of someone who left metal clamps in me the told me it wasn’t a big deal? Should I let go or seek for a second opioion and if so how do I find a new surgeon?

• Nebraska Med

Hi Carol, we would be happy to speak with you and offer a second opinion. It’s hard to share details here until we know more about you and your health history. If we can help, give us a call at 1-800-922-0000. We look forward to hearing from you!

27. Mario

i had gastric bypass in 2004, I did well with the surgery but since I’ve put weight back on and my knee problems and back problems have come back. After having the full gastric bypass is it possible to have a band or sleeve procedure done?

28. MLogan

Hi, I need help..I’ve had a revision from a lap band to a gastric sleeve and the only weight loss I experienced was the fast before the sleeve surgery. I have had my thyroid removed about 5 years aback b/c of cancer and am now up to 200mcg of cynthroid. Long story short my weight before the sleeve was 267 and its now at 286…and its been almost 2 years since the surgery. I cannot lose weight. I’ve also recently started the HCG diet (@ months) eating only broccoli & chicken or salmon most days of the week and making a nutribullet smoothie with kale/spinach, goji berries, chia seeds, almonds blue berries and any seasonal fruit in the mornings. My weight is just not moving. I don’t understand whats wrong? Its actually severely depressing when you do everything right.

29. juanita gobzalez

Hi i was woundering if i can have the surgery i am 39 yrs old i’v had 2 spine surgerys for a bolging disk if like part of my weight is my problem with pain i’m about 84 pounds over weigh and im only 5 feet tall and i was told by my doctor that i was boader line diabetic my leavel is 5.9 so please let me know your responds it would mean alot to me

Hi Juanita,
      There are a lot of factors which can determine whether a person is a good candidate for surgery. We also offer non-surgical approaches to weight loss which can be a great fit for some people. We’d be happy to talk more with you about your options, especially factoring in the back surgery you mentioned. If you’d like to give us a call at 1-800-922-0000, we can get a little more info and answer some more of your questions.

30. Jo

I had gastric bypass in 2006. I have begun to gain weight this year. Had total abdominal hysterectomy and now everything is going to weight gain. Is it safe to have gastric sleeve after a bypass? I can not face this weight again.

31. Jo

I really am looking for some insight into this procedure and the safety of it. I do appreciate you looking at my question and letting me know what you feel would be appropriate. Appropriate is the main I have experienced so much loss in the last year with my mother my father my god sister I cannot face being obese again

Hi Jo,
      Thanks for the questions, and we’re sorry to hear about the losses you’ve experienced. There are certainly options! In addition to weight loss surgery, we also offer non-surgical approaches. Our staff would have to meet with you and learn more about your medical history first and then they can talk through the options and help determine what’s best for you. We’d be happy to help! You can call us at 1-800-922-0000 or email your contact info to info@nebraskamed.com and we can have someone call you.

32. John

I had the sleeve done in February of 2012.I lost alot of weight.Went from 380 to 235, then I got sloppy.I got lahe’d off from my job and stopped working out and started eating all the wrong stuff again. I’d like a second surgery if that’s possible. Is there danger in that and can it be done.Now I’m at 298 and need help.

• Dr. McBride

There are certainly additional options to help you lose weight. They may be medical or surgical. I would recommend a consultation where you can start with a dietitian and an evaluation so we can evaluate your sleeve to see if medical or surgical options would be the best option. Let us know if we can help you make an appointment at 1-800-922-0000.

33. Sharon Avery

I’m 58 I had gastric bypass 8 years ago, I went from 255 down to 145 from size 44 or 46 to 6 and 7. But over the years I’ve picked up weight back up to 195. Would lap band help me get back down or am I a high risk? Only health problem is a little blood pressure

• Dr. McBride

Hi Sharon, There are certainly additional options to help you lose weight. They may be medical or surgical. I would recommend a consultation where you can start with a dietitian and an evaluation so we can evaluate your band to see if medical or surgical options would be the best option. Let us know if we can help you make an appointment at 1-800-922-0000

34. Melissa W.

Hello Dr. McBride:
    I am in the pre-op stages of preparing for the gastric sleeve, however this week I was told that I need a total robotic hysterectomy. Is it possible to have the gastric sleeve and the hysterectomy done at the same time? I would like to go to surgery just once if it is possible. I am in Georgia. Thank you

Thanks for the question, Melissa,
      While these two operations can technically be combined there are risks associated with doing so so most surgeons will not do it.
      You would be on the operating table for a long time with a higher risk of blood clot in your legs. The sleeve operation is considered a “clean contaminated operation” which means you staple the intestine and has a slightly higher infection rate than a hysterectomy so the hysterectomy now has the infection risk of the sleeve.
      In general if your hysterectomy can wait because it is for a non-cancer diagnosis most gynecologists would recommend getting the sleeve, waiting a year and losing most of your weight then having your hysterectomy.

35. Kimberly

Will my insurance pay for me for another surgery since I gained the weight back or do I have to come out of pocket? I had the gastric by pass surgery and gained my weight back

Hi Kimberly,
      Do you have someone at your insurance company whom you can ask? Insurance policies differ quite a bit depending on the level of coverage.

36. Penny Tralau

Hi there, I’ve just had my band removed and i’m thinking about a getting the sleeve in a few months time. In your experience what are the main difference in types of food that you can eat.

Hi Penny,
      There are differences between the band and the sleeve. But these are just generalities, each patient is different.
      Patients will not get as many foods “stuck” and will not vomit as often. If they overeat they will still get an uncomfortable feeling but it is not as strong as with the band.
      As far as food intolerances – there generally tend to be fewer food intolerances with the sleeve than the band. For example, almost no band patients can eat steak, but most sleeve patients can eat if they cut into small bites and eat very slowly. They still can not eat big and eat quickly.
      Sleeve patients can often still not eat large amounts of bread or pasta.
      I hope this helps you decide what is the right choice for you.

37. Tanya Glover

I was wondering if this was possible I also had a gastric bypass over 11 years ago. Since that time I have had a set of twins total of 3kids now and will be 41 soon my weight has came back and I would like to see about getting sleeved. Do you think it would be a good ideal?

Hi Tanya,
      There are a number of factors which our team uses to figure out what approach works best. For some people, a second surgery is a good option. We would really need to meet with you in person, go over your health history and talk about your goals before we could say for sure which option is the right one. There are also a number of non-surgical weight loss options we could talk about. If we can help make an appointment, give us a call 1-800-922-0000

• Nebraska Med

Hi Donna, for some people, a second surgery is a good option. Our team would really need to meet with you in person, go over your health history and talk about your goals before we could say for sure which option is the right one. We also offer a number of non-surgical weight loss options. If we can help make an appointment, give us a call 1-800-922-0000

38. Denise

I had gastric bypass in 2003. I had to original bypass. I only lost 70 pounds while others lost a lot more. I went to see a surgeon two years ago to see why I was gaining weight and did not have the feeling of getting full. That doctor gave me EGD and found out that the food did not sit in my pouch and it went straight down in my intestine. He gave me instructions to keep a food journal and I had always done so. After feeling like I was getting the run around and I was not getting the answers to my questions. Do you think its possible to get another gastric surgery but a different surgery?

Hello Denise,

A patient can have a bariatric surgery revision. The first step is to contact our office to schedule an appointment to discuss her medical history with one of our Physician Assistants. The PA will order any tests necessary for the surgeon to evaluate what is going on and recommend next steps.

39. Nerissa

I had the gastristic bypass in 2003. Since then, married one kid, depression, and various medical issues later I am back to my original weight. However, I have a completely different mindset than what I had in my 20s. The surgery surely gave life to these pass 13 years but I need to do something else. I have convinced my husband that fried everything is out, and that veggies every meal is a must. He has lost weight and I have lost inches but not any real weight. Plus due to my vitamin deficiencies caused by the first surgery has left me without much energy. Is it possible for me to have a weight loss surgery again? I didn’t exercise much the first time but I want to be able to walk and ride bikes with my daughter and hubby. Thanks in advance for your response.

Hello Nerissa,

Revisional weight loss surgery may be possible after a gastric bypass. It depends on many factors, such as the technique your surgeon used back in 2003, how much bowel he or she bypassed, and how big your stomach pouch is now. It also depends on if your insurance company will pay for revisions, because unfortunately many policies only cover one procedure in a lifetime. The best first step would be to make an appointment in the Bariatric Center. We can arrange for the necessary testing, get copies of your operative note so we have the information we need, and then make a recommendation based on your individual situation.

40. Kathy

I am contemplating gastric sleeve surgery and have an appt. to meet with the team at the weight loss institute. I have a very bad back and have also been involved in a motor vehicle accident that allows only limited range of motion in my right foot. Can I expect any success from the sleeve if I am unable to exercise?

Good question Kathy,

Exercise and physical activity is important for weight loss. It is even more important for weight maintenance once you have lost the weight, no matter how you lose the weight. I would encourage you to work with your orthopedic surgeon or physical therapist to maximize your mobility and exercise options. You should also think about activities that do not require weight bearing such as swimming or water aerobics as they are often better tolerated by patients with back or joint issues. If you cannot exercise, you will still lose weight with bariatric surgery but unfortunately you will not lose as much weight as someone who can exercise regularly. In addition, you may struggle more to keep it off. You are asking the right questions and these are important things to consider as you move forward.

41. Debbie

I had gastric bypass in 2003 and now im almost back to where I started!
    I’ve had 2 hip replacements one knee replacement cervical fusion twice and lower back surgery I have DJD
    I’m on disBility and was wondering if Medicare will pay for the surgery?

• Dr. McBride

Debbie- If you meet all of the medical necessity criteria for bariatric surgery based on weight and co-morbidities and a revision is technically possible based on you anatomy (please see my answers to the other posters who wondered if their gastric bypass could be revised), then yes Medicare does cover revisional surgery.

42. Lesa

I’m not asking you to diagnose me as to rather I’m a candidate for a sleeve, what I need to know is once you’ve had gastric bypass surgery, is it possible you *could be* a candidate for the sleeve surgery? I just want to know if once you’ve had gastric bypass, if it’s even an option to get the sleeve? Everyone I know that has had the sleeve have lost far more weight than I have with Gastric bypass….When I had my surgery, the sleeve wasn’t an option….Thank You.

• Dr. McBride

Lesa- In order to go from a gastric bypass to a sleeve, first your gastric bypass would have to be reversed and then you would have to get a sleeve. This operation is technically possible but it has significant risks because of the number of staple lines. It has a high risk of bleeding and leak, so while it can be done the conversation I usually have with patients is “should” it be done? Before we consider this options we usually consider other revisions to a gastric bypass to make you stomach smaller or the connection between your stomach and your small intestine smaller. The first step would be to evaluated at the Bariatric Center to understand exactly what is going on with your gastric bypass to help understand what revisions surgery might be your best choice. If you’re in our area, give us a call (1-800-922-0000) and we’d be happy to help you find the best option.

43. Peggy Wilson

I am looking for answers I had a lap band in 2002 and did quite well lost 100 lbs. before having to have fluid removed and gaining back 40 lbs. I opted to have the lap band removed and get gastric sleeve done in 2012 exactly 10 years after I had the band. I am very disappointed in my loss I never did well with my loss even though I followed all the rules until I finally gave up trying so hard. I am still 68 lbs down from my 100 lb loss but sill need to lose 30-40 more lbs. Is it normal or did my sleeve not get shaped correctly??

Peggy
      Unfortunately I can not answer your question without an upper GI (the contrast study). It may be that you have a slightly larger stomach at the top where your band used to be, or that the area where your band was has stretched over time. It may be that you need a stronger tool than the sleeve provides. I would be happy to see you in the Bariatric Center with an Upper GI to help understand what the issues might be and to see if there are any options. If we can help, give us a call 1-800-922-0000!

44. Lisa

I had gastric bypass surgery around seven years ago. I am starting to gain and wondered if I could have lap band surgery after a roueny.

Hello Lisa,

In general, we do not recommend a lap band procedure following a Roux-N-Y. There are different revision options for patients and unfortunately no two patients are alike. I would recommend scheduling an appointment to discuss revision options. We would likely need to get an Upper GI and/or endoscopy to assess what your anatomy looks like after surgery. We also offer many nonsurgical options for those that have struggled with adequate weight loss or weight regain. If this is something you are interested in, please call 402-559-9500 to schedule an appointment.

45. Kim

Dear Dr Mc Bride,
    My name is Kim. I had the Roux en Y back in 2005. My initial weight was 267. In the year and a half I only lost a total of 80 lbs. I was very active in sports. I played Tennis, softball and I worked out daily. But I had a knee injury that lingered for 8 months and slowly in the last 5yrs, I gained all my weight back.
    I would like to know if a RNY Bypass can be adjusted to the Sleeve procedure?
    Also, I live near Roswell, NM and was wondering if you could recommend a bariatric surgeon close to me. I can travel as far as Albuquerque, NM; Lubbock or Amarillo, Tx to meet with anyone you could recommend.

Hello Kim,

The gastric bypass can be revised in multiple ways to improve weight loss. Conversion to a sleeve is one option but is rarely the best one but can be considered depending on your personal with loss journey. This is something that needs to be considered when in consultation with your surgeon. I would recommend finding a surgeon through the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Website (http://asmbs.org/patients/find-a-provider)

46. Christopher Darden

Hello Dr. McBride my name is Christopher Darden I am writing to ask about a second gastric procedure. I had a gastric bypass in 2010 I lost about 80 pounds but since my neck surgery in 2012 I’ve slowly gained a lot of the weight back my blood pressure is going up and my knees ar hurting daily what would be your professional opinion in my next step to try a second surgery I’m considering lapband surgery would that be a good option. Thank you in advance Dr. McBride

• Dr. McBride

Hi Christopher – There are often revision options for patients who have had a gastric bypass. Putting a Lap Band on top of a gastric bypass has been done but not in large numbers and it has not been proven to help large numbers of people so most insurance companies will not pay for it because they consider it to be experimental. You should meet with a bariatric surgeon to discuss if revisional surgery is even possible with how your gastric bypass was done and if it is possible then what your options might be. Meeting in person with an expert will give you a much better idea of your options. If we can help here in Omaha, just let us know!

-Dr. McBride

• susan Adrien

I had a gastric bypass surgery . In 1990 I had a revised surgery. I have gained weight back after being heavy now it’s hard for me to cope. Please let me know if I can get a secondary revision. I really need this.

• Patrick

Susan, we’d really have to talk to you more to be able to help give you further advice. Please call us at 800.922.0000.

47. Nadirah Mozee

Hi Dr.McBride my name is Nadirah Mozee and I wanted to know if getting a 2nd surgery is good idea.. I had a gastro bypass in January of 2012, I was around 379 pds and I lost over 120pds. I feel like I gained most of it back and I’m trying everything to lose it again .. What’s some advice you can give me? Thank You

Hi Nadirah,
      For some people, a second surgery is a good option. However, there are a lot of factors to consider, and it may not be the right thing for everyone. Our team would need to meet with you in person to go over all of those factors. We’d be happy to make an appointment with you (1-800-922-0000). Please let us know if we can help!

• Nadirah Mozee

I made an appointment with my Dr. that did it the first time. If he can’t help me, I’ll be sure to give y’all a call.. Thank You

48. Michelle Epps

Hello, I had the gastric sleeve done in 2013, i was 280 and went down to 189 that was my lowest weight. I am 5’4 and needed to lose much more.. From the first year of having my surgery, I suffer from a very bad case of HEARTBURN, when I eat if I go to bed within two hours of eating, I will wake up choking with the food in my mouth… I never went back to the doctor that did my surgery cause I moved from the state that I had the surgery.. I went and strarted myself on over the counter meds. I a using OMEPRAZOLE . I have to take one everyday. I am scared of the damage that I am doing to myself cause you only suppose to stay on this meds for a very short time.. I have been on them for almost 4 years now.. Please tell me what I need to do… Need help please!!!!

• Dr. McBride

Hi Michelle, I am sorry that you are having such bad reflux after your sleeve. I would recommend you see a bariatric surgeon to discuss your symptoms. You need to be evaluated to see if the reflux is causing any inflammation or irritation to your esophagus.
      If your symptoms can be controlled with omeprazole or something similar to it and there is no damage to your esophagus then you may need nothing else done except to continue the medication and modify your eating habits so that you do not eat so close to bedtime.
      However if your symptoms can not be controlled with medication or if even with medication there is early damage to your esophagus, then you and your surgeon should discuss if you should have your surgery revised to a gastric bypass.
      If you’re in our area, we’d be happy to see you in our center. You can call 1-800-922-0000 for more information about making an appointment.

• Michelle Epps

Thank you soooooomuch for that information, I just want to be normal again…. Sleeping again at night…. I haven’t had a good night sleep in years!!! I am almost scared to sleep because I am always waking up choking!!! I must say I though I would die many night trying to get my breath…. Thank you so much!!!! I f you have anymore information for me please thank you in advance !!!! Signing off scarier Michelle!!

49. Brenda Brown

Looking for options: I am a nurse. Struggled with weight since 19 yrs old, am now 55. Have done all the food “diets”, diet pills, liquid diets, had the band, had the sleeve. Walk 4-5 miles, 3-5 x weekly, also wt. bearing exercise. Never lost more than 40-50lbs each time. Never reached ideal weight. Continue to struggle with keeping the weight off today. Seems as if my body thermostat gravitates to 250 lbs. Had to start taking hypertension meds and cholesterol meds this year. Now having enlargement of my left leg and numbness in both legs. Have had multiple tests to r/o clots, blockages in heart, abdomen and lower legs. All comes back clear. Worried if I can continue working. My father and 10 of his siblings had one of their legs amputated prior to their deaths with a dx of “poor circulation” so I am really concerned about cardiovascular disease. No diabetes. As a nurse, I am always busy and tend to stress eat, but trys to eat right. No fried foods, no sodas, lots of fish but wondering if a gastric bypass is feasible after a sleeve.

• Dr. McBride

Yes if you have not found the sleeve to be a strong enough tool then it can be revised to a stronger tool like a gastric bypass. However it is not a quick fix. Before you can consider this surgery, you will need to repeat all of the steps for Bariatric Surgery that your insurance has required in the past and not all insurance companies will cover these revisions. It is very important that you understand what might have caused the previous operations to have failed so that it does not sabotage this last attempt because this will be the final option and no further revisions will be available to you. If we can help in our center, please let us know!

50. Rebecca Kendrick

Hi, I was sleeved 2 1/2 years ago and never reached my goal weight. I did however lose weight. Since then I had to have a hysterectomy and in a matter of 4 months I have gained 30 lbs. I have an appointment with my doctor to see if my sleeve has stretched and what my options are. I was wondering if you think revision would be a good direction to go. I don’t feel the new tummy tightness anymore and I miss it.

51. Lee

Is it possible to do the other way around from your experience ? I’ve had gastric bypass surgery 10 years ago. (lost and gain back not all but a lot ) Is the lap band possible now or to have gastric sleeve ?

• Dr. McBride

Hi Lee – In general if you have regained weight after a gastric bypass we start by trying to understand if there are issues with the gastric bypass such as if you stomach pouch has enlarged or you connection to the bowel has gotten larger or if your little stomach has re-connected to the part of the stomach you are not supposed to be using. If one of these things is the issue then there may be a surgery or procedure to help. If not then we work on the diet habits and changes that might be sabotaging you.
      With regards to putting a Lap Band over a gastric bypass, it has been done but it has not been show to work very well so most insurance companies will not cover it as they consider it “experimental”. It is possible to reverse the gastric bypass and then get a sleeve however it has a high complication rate especially leaks because you have to connect you little pouch to the big stomach remnant then do a sleeve. That is a lot of staple lines and they cause problems. I do not offer this operation because I do not think it is worth the risk.

• susan Adrien

Can you tell me how many revision surgery you can have. I had one revision of the gastric bypass. I need another. Please contact me.

52. Shana

Hello, Dr. McBride,

I was just told by my dentist that I have hypertension. Because of anxiety and terrible treatment from dismissive doctors over the years due to being morbidly obese, I haven’t been to the doctor in ten years and don’t have a primary care provider. I’m ready to make a change, but I know I’ll run/quit if I am belittled by medical staff. Do you have a recommendation for “fat-friendly” PCPs in the Omaha area where I can take the first steps before making an appointment with your office? Thank you for your assistance.

Hi Shana,
      I am sorry that you have had bad experiences with physicians in the past. I think all of the primary care providers at UNMC/Nebraska Medicine are very good and have sensitivity for patients of size but Dr. Birgit Khandalavala in the Department of Family Medicine provides both Family Medicine and Obesity medicine and this may be what you need.

53. Marka Fuller

Hi, I had the sleeve 5 years ago. I feel that I’ve stretched it out. Because I can eat way too much now and I’ve gained 40 pounds! Is it possible to have the surgery again?
    Thanks
    Marka Fuller

Marka-
      Some weight gain can happen after any weight loss surgery and it is ususally due to dietary changes and decrease in exercise and so a refresher on the sleeve lifestyle is most appropriate, but sleeves can stretch. They can be “re-sleeved”. They can also be converted to a gastric bypass or a duodenal switch if you need a stonger tool than the sleeve.

54. Gina

Hello

I had gastric bypass done back in 2001, at the start I lost 100 pounds, then it stopped after that. I asked for help from my doctor but she never gave me the answers I needed, just told me ‘well I guess the surgery wasn’t a good thing now was it’. Honestly this is the only thing I remember from that doctor. It has been a long time an I haven’t seen a doctor since then for anything dealing with my surgery. I work really hard to watch what I eat, I cook meals at home, I don’t go out to eat. I work 12 hours a day on my feet so I’m always moving, by the time I get home I’m fully wiped out. I’ve developed an Iron Anemia issue now that most likely is from the surgery, while I take my vitamins it just wasn’t enough to help so I had to see a Hematologist. I’m on the mend from that. My problem is no matter what I do, what I eat, or don’t eat I just can not drop the weight that I have been for the last ten years. I gain a few and then promptly lose it but I can never get below that number. So I’m reaching out for any help I possible can get, I need to lose more weight, I hurt an I’m always tired no matter how much sleep I get which I know is from my weight. I’ve asked my doctor for help and he only suggests joining a weight program in his clinic that is very expensive. Other then my Iron issue I and my weight I don’t have any other health concern, I am not diabetic, I do not have high blood pressure, I’m only on medication for my low B12 and Iron. In the end I just need help, please..

Gina-
      Without knowing your height and weight when you started, I don’t know if 100 lbs is a “good” or a “less than optimal” weight loss for you.
      If you have been successful in keeping that weight off for 15 years you should be very proud of yourself. The average heavy American gains 10 pounds a year so if you had never had surgery you would be 150 lbs heavier than you were on the day you had surgery.
      If you want to lose additional weight there may be additional surgery options but you need to see a surgeon who specializes in bariatric surgery revisions to see if this is an option based on your anatomy. She or he will need to examine if there has been any stretching or changes to your stomach pouch.
      If your stomach is normal after a gastric bypass then there are no surgery options and your only options is a medical weight loss program.

The general recommendations for a gastric bypass are a multivitamin that has two to three times the daily FDA requirements plus B12, folate, Calcium, Vitamin D and for women who are still menstruating extra iron but these need to be customized based on your lab work.

55. Debbie

I had weight surgery 2009 it been a while but I try to do calories in take and try to eat right the area I want gone on mine body has not gone and I’m piss off on that I do a lot of walking at work and I try to keep active with mine kids what I’m I doing wrong I’m mean should I redo the surgery or I’m I not doing enough I need help

• pgarmoe

Debbie,

Without doing an evaluation on you, we can’t really give you any advice specific to your situation. I’d encourage you to give us a call at 800.922.0000. We could give you better advice on whether another surgery is the correct option, or just perhaps our weight loss program.

Thanks,
      Nebraska Medicine

56. Debbie

I was 262 when I had weight loss surgery and mine weight going up and down I’m 207 now I want to be in the 130 but I have promble with. Mine bottom tummy I hate it I want it gone

57. Sharlie

Had the lapband surgery in 2005. I weighed 218 before the surgery and have never gotten below 180. I do appreciate the 25-30 lbs that are gone and have never returned, however, not being able to eat dense foods no matter how small the bite nor how many times I chew, cause me to make bad choices. Bluebell is my friend. I have continued to feel hungry over the last 11 years. Recently my sisters, and my niece have gotten gastric sleeves. Two of them had revision surgeries; lapband to sleeves and have communicated they feel much less hungry than with the band. One of them told me she has lost cravings for all sweets. That, I find intriguing because I am constantly craving sweets. I do not mind eating small portions because if I don’t, it will come back up, depending on the time if day. So portion control isn’t a problem, just the calories I take in from ice cream and milkshakes when I’m so hungry! My biggest complaint is that i never can tell when one more bite is one too many, and still feeling hungry at times. I am 61, at about 188 lbs, in relatively good health with no BP or cholesterol issues, but I am concerned as to what shape this band and port are in and whether or not a sleeve might facilitate the loss of the remaining 30-40 lbs I need/want to lose.

Hello Sharlie,

Many patients are finding that the Lap-band are not the long term weight loss tool that they were hoping it to be and consider a revisional surgery. The most commonly considered options are band explant and gastric sleeve or band explant and gastric bypass. Sometimes these can be done at the same surgery and sometimes the operations had to be done as 2 separate operations to allow the stomach to heal in between. That is a decision that depends on you and your surgeon. For many patients the decision on whether to have revision surgery is also impacted by their insurance coverage. Some insurance companies will cover this type of revision, others will not. It is too complex a question to answer on a blog but we would be happy to see you at the Bariatric Center to discuss your options and have our insurance coordinator investigate with your company if you have coverage.

58. Connie

I am wanting to have the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass done very soon. I first need to know how to get the Medicare to approve it. My highest weight was 299 and now I weigh 244 but I am still considered morbidly obese. I am 64 and hope that I am not to old for this surgery and have diabetes, arthritis and fibromyalgia. Yesterday, I saw a Urologist doctor that advised me to have the bypass surgery before he does my surgery. How soon after being approved by Medicare would I have the surgery? Thank you.

Hello Connie,

Medicare will cover weight loss surgery for patients who are morbidly obese patients who have health problems associated with their obesity such as diabetes. They have to have tried non- surgical attempts first. Medicare does not have an upper age limit. There is a pre-operative evaluation and preparation process that varies by program and patient to make sure you are a good candidate and ready for surgery and that you have no medical or psychologic reasons to not have surgery or issues that will sabotage you in the end. I would say for most patients the process takes between 6weeks to 6 months. The time until you could have your urology surgery would depend on how much weight the urologist wants you to lose.

59. Patrice

I had gastric bypass 4/2015 and lost 80 lbs, ,due to ulcers my surgeon reversed my bypass 12/2016. Currently wt 190 lbs never reached my goal of 150 lbs ,van o hey another wt lose surgery?

• Nebraska Medicine

Hello Patrice,

I’m a little confused about what you’re asking. Please call our team at 800.922.0000 if you want an opinion on what you ought to do.

60. Cris

Have been looking into weight loss surgery and have been monitored for weight loss with PCP for the last 5 months. I am 5’0 213lbs. No gerd or acid reflux. I am just at the top of becoming pre diabetic. I have high blood pressure. I am female and age 40. I would like to have the sleeve procedure but the Dr that I went to see says she recommends gastric bypass because that is the go to procedure as they have the most information and long term studies of results and issues. I know people that have had both. From what I’ve been ready I am a good fit for the sleeve. I I’m thinking of having a couple different consults before I decide for sure . What your thoughts?

• Nebraska Medicine

I think in order to give you any more specific guidance, Dr. McBride would have to review your specific situation in more detail. I advise you talk to one of our team members about whether another consult would make sense. 800.922.0000 is our number.

Thanks,
      Nebraska Medicine

61. Kat

I’ve had the gastric sleeve already but after the first year my weight loss has stopped. I’m nearing my original weight which caused me to have the surgery in the first place and my health issues have returned and I’m wanted to know if I could have the surgery again or the lap band surgery because I would like to see my child grow up. My diet rating have changed but I’m actually not sure why the weight stalled and I’m fighting with this weight issue all over again

Hi Kat,
      We’d suggest you follow up with the surgeon who did the initial operation. Let them know about the challenges you’re having and see if they can recommend some adjustments. If you’re near us in Nebraska and would like a second opinion, we’d be happy to help (1-800-922-0000).

62. Mary Commodore

Hello, I had a gastric sleeve procedure done 1 year ago my starting weight was 193lbs. two months after my surgery I had lost 18 and lbs. I have followed the plan my Doctor had given me and still no weight loss. My present weight is 174. I would like to have the gastric sleeve done over by another Dr. I feel that I did not get what I paid for health wise. My out of pocket money and the Insurance company was a waste. Do you think my Insurance Co. will pay for this surgery twice? HELP!

Hi Mary,
      sorry to hear you’re having trouble after your operation. We’d suggest following up with your doctor. You should also be able to call your health insurance company and get answers about what is covered.

63. Lori

I had the gastric bypass in 2006, I got into a car accident and was put on different medications. I have lost all motivation to exercise. I am now almost back to the 264 pounds that I started from, would it be wise to do another gastric procedure, or push my self to the point of no return and sweat it out until I reach the goal that I want to be at with all the back and neck pains that I am currently having, I mean do you think it is a wise decision?

Hi Lori,
      This is a very good question and exactly why we encourage people to make an appointment with a weight loss specialist. Changes in health history are part of what makes each of us unique – such as your car accident and medication changes. If we can help set up an appointment at our center in Omaha, give us a call – 1-800-922-0000.

64. PATRICIA

Dr. McBride,

I had the Roux-en-Y in October 2000 or 2001 weighing in at 3441/2. I lost 171. i now weigh between 235-240. I am sure my stomach has stretched by now. Is there another peocedure i can have to correct this like the gastric sleeve?

Patricia,

It sounds like you had an excellent result after your gastric bypass and your should be very proud of yourself. You have had some re-weight gain. Depending on exactly how your gastric bypass was done and the staplers that were used this may be a technical issue such as stomach dilatation. We can certainly evaluate it at the Bariatric Center. Converting you to a sleeve is not the answer, but there may be surgery options that can help.

Thanks,
      Dr. McBride

65. Wendy

Question, I had gastric sleeve a year ago and have only lost 35 pounds.
    I had a swollen test done and the technician told me he found it strange that they only removed 30 percent of my stomach and not the normal 60-70 percent.
    Why would a doctor only remove a small amount and is that why I am not losing weight?

Hello Wendy,

After your type of procedure, if patients do not lose as much weight as they need to there are options to help them lose more weight. Most insurance companies do require that you work with a program to make sure you are following all the diet recommendations if you are doing that then depending on the size of your current sleeve there are several options. These would include re-stapling your sleeve to make it smaller, converting your sleeve to a gastric bypass or converting your sleeve to a loop duodenal switch. If you would like to make and appointment to review your swallow study and your options, please contact the Bariatric Center at (800) 922-0000.

Thanks,
      Dr. McBride

66. Roxie

I was sleeved on 17th of may and almost immediately had strictures. I have been balloon dilated twice for the stricture which last about two to thee weeks. I have a v shape right in the middle section of sleeve. dr is trying to prevent another surgery which would be a bypass. How many times can I be dilated and do you think this plan will eventually start opening the stricture to stay open or should i say the v shape become more curved. Just would like to hear your opinion. Before I consider the bypass i will get a second opinion. Sincerely Roxie

67. Chris

I had bariatric gastric bypass in December of 2000 I was 458 I got all the way down 289 pounds 16 years later I’m back up to 340 pounds is there a chance I can redo my surgery I’ll get one of the new ones that are out I live in Iowa and I just need help bad thank you