I Had Bariatric Surgery—Twice

CORRIGAN L. MCBRIDE, MD

CORRIGAN L. MCBRIDE, MD

I’m Corrigan McBride, MD and I am a bariatric surgeon at The Nebraska Medical Center. My story isn’t too different from my patients. About 10 years ago, I was about 75 pounds overweight. I had knee problems. I had started seeing an orthopaedic surgeon who gave me two options—either lose weight or have knee surgery.

Honestly, if I was my own patient, I would have told myself to lose the weight. My cholesterol and my blood sugar were both going up. I was on the path to heart disease, diabetes. I wanted to get to a much healthier place. I wanted to have a family. I needed to lose the weight.

So I had lap band surgery in 2004—and it was a very good tool for me. I lost about 40 pounds, and that was enough to see the health improvements I wanted. My knees didn’t bother me; my cholesterol and blood sugar improved.

And because I had lap band vs. another surgery, I could get pregnant within the next year if I wanted to. With the other surgeries, you have to wait a bit longer—which I didn’t want to do.

Fast-forward a few years: I got married, and gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. Everything was great. But then the band slipped—which is relatively rare, but it does happen. There were a couple of options to re-do the surgery. I decided to have the gastric sleeve–a surgery in which 80 percent of your stomach is removed.  And it’s worked wonderfully—as I’ve lost a significant amount of weight. I’m still losing!

Here’s my point…

I can tell you from personal experience—bariatric surgery is a great weight-loss tool. But there’s nothing magic about these surgeries. Yes, problems can be corrected. But when it comes to weight loss, you still have to count calories. You still have to burn calories. You still have to exercise.

The surgeries perform one important function—they let you take in fewer calories. Your hunger is satisfied with less food. Fabulous! Each surgery limits intake in a different way. But it does happen.

But—as I said–you still need to count calories. There’s no getting around it. You can’t keep eating the way you used to. You’ve got to eat lots of lean protein, lots of vegetables, a few fruits. And you’ve got to exercise if you want to keep losing weight.

Luckily, today we’ve got smartphone apps that can help keep us on track. More about that later. Believe me, if I can do this—lose the weight—so can you. I’m so happy I had bariatric surgery. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

Corrigan McBride, MD

To make an appointment with Corrigan McBride, MD or for a consultation at the Bariatrics Center, please call 800-922-0000.

36 Responses to “I Had Bariatric Surgery—Twice”

1. tina

Would you recommend having my gall bladder removed at the same time as the gastric sleeve surgery

• twilson

Hi Tina… We’re getting in touch with the doctor to have her respond to your question. Thanks for your submission.

• Dr. McBride

Tina
        I do not routinely recommend removing the gallbladder unless you are having symptoms and it is something we should discuss at your evaluation.

2. opal schaupp

I just want to thank Dr. McBride for the great care she gave to me when my band need to be re moved and also ask how long after I get the wound vac off would I have to wait to have the sleeve done and how many days would I be in the hospital for this procedure. Melisa Stade doesn’t do the sleeve in Scottsbluff. Jason Walsch does the gastric by pass. I dont know if I would even consider try a band again. I would appreciate your advice on this matter I am thinking about coming back to Omaha but it is 1000 mile round tripi
    was very satisfied with my care.
    Opal schaupp
    nurselpnc02@gmail.com

• Dr. McBride

Opal-
      In general I would recommend waiting 6 weeks to 6 months after a band is removed before having another weight loss surgery depending on why the band was removed. There are multiple options after a band has come out but in general I would not recommend a new band because of the risk of recurrence of the whatever caused the first band to fail.
      I do not want to share your personal history on the internet but would be happy to talk to you about the options.

3. need help

if you have already had the sleeve, and a year later you need to lose 10 lb. to keep your diabetes from coming back, what would you suggest? exercise, or diet? my tummy is getting bigger, but not the rest of me. thanks

• Dr. McBride

Thanks for the question. I’d recommend both. Diet can help you lose weight, and exercise will improve your overall health whether you lose weight or not. Remember to check with your doctor before making any drastic diet or exercise changes

4. Pamela

In 2001 I was 374lbs and had gastric bypass surgery. I had great sucess with it and lost nearly 200lbs. Over the last 13 years like you, I have been married, brought 2 children into the world, divorced, engaged, lost 2 beautiful children and then brought one more amazing child into the world. Over the years I have gained and lost and gained and lost. I have tried everything, exercise, all the right foods, water, and I loose 10 to 20lbs and now at 37 years old I can’t seem to do it. Would I be a canidate for any of the weight loss surgeries now? Would anyone be willing to help me?

• Nebraska Med

Pamela, we’re so sorry for all the hardships you’ve been through over the years. It’s hard for us to say here whether you’d be a candidate, but we’d certainly love to talk with you (don’t worry – no obligation or charge) and see if there’s a way we can help. Feel free to email us at info@nebraskamed.com and we can arrange for a member of Dr. McBride’s team to call you – or just call us directly at 1-855-412-1300. Thanks for reaching out to us, we hope to hear from you.

5. Elizabeth Tourlamain

Can any one help me

I had a Gastric Sleeve in 2011 I was 238 lbs I lost 84 pounds at first then my weight is gradually creeping up I diet and exercise and drink the water my weight today is 182 pounds did I choose the wright Bariatric Surgery. My sister and my Nice have had a Hypnotic gastric band and are loosing a lot of weight with this would It be safe for me to have this done evin thow I had a sleeve done.
    Please can you help me.

Regards
    Liz

6. Nebraska Med

Hi Liz, it’s hard for us to say whether you’d be a candidate or not from here. As you might know, there’s a lot that goes into determining whether a person is a candidate for surgery. There are other non-surgical weight loss options that might be worth exploring as well. You can give us a call in the Bariatrics Center and we can discuss a few options on the phone or help you make an appointment if you’d like to come in. You can call us directly at 1-855-419-5281

7. Theresa Young

I had the gastric bypass 22yrs ago and am gradually putting weight on in the last 4yrs. Can I have it done again what are my options, I also have live problems I don’t want to die from a fatty liver.

• Nebraska Med

Hi Theresa,
      There are certainly more options now than there were 22 years ago, but it’s hard for us to say what option (if any) would be best for you without more info. There are a lot of factors that determine which course is best. We’d be happy to talk with you on the phone or help you make an appointment. Give us a call at 1-855-419-5281 or email info@nebraskamed.com and we’ll get you connected with one of our experts from the bariatrics center.

• Lisa Trupp

Which is the best bypass to have? I’m going to have it done but I’m confused as to which one is best! Sleeve, lap band or the original bypass?

• Nebraska Med

Lisa, each surgery has different considerations. What might be best for you might not be best for another patient. Our experts can help answer specific questions for you. We’d be happy to talk through some options with you. Give us a call at 1-855-419-5281 or email info@nebraskamed.com. It’s free and there’s no obligation at all.

8. April Boyea

Hi,
    I had gastric bypass 12 years ago…..I was only 16! I have had alot of problems since then…is there anyway i can have another surgery? Any suggestions?? the weight has been put back on and i’ve had twins since then….any advice would help!

• Nebraska Med

Hi April, while it’s possible that another surgery might be right for you, it’s impossible for us to say here. As you may remember from you first operation, there are a lot of things to consider before surgery. We also have a lot of non-surgical options that might be better. We’d need to meet you in person and get some information about you specifically. Everyone is different! Give us a call at 1-855-419-5281 or email info@nebraskamed.com. It’s free and there’s no obligation at all.

9. nicole

I had gastric bypass surgery about 15 years ago had 3 kids I can’t seem to loose weight like when I had surgery can I have the surgery again or one of these new surgeries they came out with since than

• Nebraska Med

Hi Nicole, there are a lot of factors that play into that decision. It’s a hard one for us to assess online. We’d be happy to talk with you on the phone or make an appointment if you’re interested. You can call us at 1-800-922-0000 and we’ll be happy to help.

10. Erika Edwards

I have had a baby in 2011 and was put on an iud I got down 2 175 now I’m 247 which is hard for me bc I was on the iud over 2 yes so I have had gastric bypass in 2009 and what amount of calories should I be in taking with exercise and can I get back 2 175 bc I miss being that small.

• Nebraska Med

Hi Erika,
      Thanks for the question. It’s a tough one for us to answer via the blog, but we’d be happy to talk with you one on one. As you can probably guess, there are a number of factors that can be part of a decision like that. If you’re still in contact with the team that did your first surgery, they may be able to help answer questions about follow up procedures. We’re also happy to help here at Nebraska Medicine too. Feel free to call us at 1-800-922-0000.

• Dr. McBride

Ms. Perez-
      It sounds like you are considering a revision of your gastric sleeve. The sleeve can be revised. If the sleeve is too large it can be re-done to a smaller sleeve. It can also be converted to a gastric bypass. These options are usually considered if a patient has either gastroesophageal reflux disease (otherwise know as heartburn or reflux) or wants to lose more weight to achieve their desired health benefits.

11. Vikram Cherukapally

Hi,
    I am from India . I was around 291 pounds in Mid 2012 , had a sleeve gastroctomy in July 2012 and lost around 80 ponds in 6 months after surgery. However due to stress at work and other factors, have regained some weight and weigh around 235 pounds now. I go to gym 5 days a week. But i some how am unable to reach my goal of around 180 pounds. Was just curious to know if i can get this surgery re done.Appreciate help and suggestion in this regard.

• Dr. McBride

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling to keep your weight off. Sometimes revision surgery is an option. The revisions can include re-doing the sleeve if it has dilated or gotten bigger or converting it to a gastric bypass or to a duodenal switch operations. There are advantages and disadvantages with all revision operations that we could discuss with patients during a consultation. Not all insurance companies will pay for a second surgery so you should check with your insurance company to see if they have any special requirements.

12. joanne

Hi, i had bariatric bypass in 2005 and went from 127.8kg to 62kg. In the past 10 months i have had my weight go back to 107kg. My question is are you able to have (1) bypass surgery again, or (2) can it be reversed and the sleeve done? I am trying to find the best solution for me. Thankyou in advance for your reply

• Dr. McBride

Joanne, This amount of weight re-gain after a gastric bypass is unusual. Depending on the surgical technique used at the time of your surgery it may mean that your stomach has “stretched”. You can not have the gastric bypass “re-done” and we do not usually reverse the gastric bypass and convert to a sleeve, but there may be revision surgery options available. You would need some testing to see how big your stomach is now and a consultation with a dietician to see if you are still eating appropriately for a gastric bypass patient and then we could discuss if there are any surgery options which may help get you back on track. If we can help, please let us know. You can call 1-800-922-0000 for information about scheduling an appointment.

13. L-Jay

Dr. McBride,
    I had the sleeve gastrectomy in December of 2012. Since then, my mother passed and stress and depression kicked in. I stopped smoking and have gained 27lbs. What can I do to fix this? Can I have another surgery?

• Dr. McBride

L-Jay, sorry to hear I am sorry to hear about your mother. Stress can certainly impact weight. Sometimes revision surgery is an option. The revisions can include re-doing the sleeve if it has dilated or gotten bigger or converting it to a gastric bypass or to a duodenal switch operations. There are advantages and disadvantages with all revision operations that we could discuss at a consultation.

14. Carla Mickelson

Dr. McBride,

I have been obese my entire life max weight 340, had a gastric bypass in 2004 (ruo-n-y), lower body lift on 2005. Stress being the killer, I had a hole in the stomach pouch. It was repaired and stomach tightened in 2007.

Fast forward to the fall of 2011, I was diagnosed with MS. I was hospitalized in 2014 over 10 times due to MS, stress and contracting staff/ mercer while in one of my longer hospitalizations. Although my medication list has increased everything basically has stayed the same with the exception of my weight. I have gained back almost 100 pounds

Dr. McBride, is there a weight loss surgery you would recommend with my specific conditions?

I currently am on the East coast (since 1969) and I am willing to travel. As of February 2015, my long term disability has been approved.

Thank you for your time and I look for to your response.

Carla Mickelson

• Dr. McBride

Hi Carla,
      For patients who have had previous weight loss surgery and are struggling to keep weight off, the first steps are to work with a dietician and behavioral program to eliminate all eating patterns and behaviors that might be sabotaging weight loss efforts. Physical activity is also important. I acknowledge this is challenging with your MS but with physical therapy or skilled therapists hopefully options can be found. If there is something wrong with your gastric bypass such as a staple line break down or if your small stomach has reconnected to the part of your stomach you should not be using a revision surgery can be done to help you lose additional weight. If there is nothing wrong with your anatomy then surgery is less likely to be helpful. In general I would not recommend traveling long distances for a surgeon because you need good supporting in a program to be successful and that is best done locally. I would recommend going to the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery website (www.ASMBS.org) find a surgeon and search for someone in your area who performs revision surgery.
      I hope this helps!
      -Dr. McBride

15. Tonya

Hi Dr.

I had gastric bypass in 2006. I Lost over 100 pounds and stabalized at about 140. In 2013 I had gained about 45 pounds back and went and supposedly had a revision surgery. It didnt work at all.I lost about 10 pounds and that’s it. I’m back up to 196 and going into depression. I have tried diet pills and exercise and started eating healthier but nothing is working. Is there am chance of me being able to have another revision? I think the doctor that did my revision basically only removed the portion of my stomach that I wasn’t using and did not do anything to give me that restriction.please advise on what I can do?

Thanks

16. carmen geniz

I have gained weight back after having gastro-bypass nearly 2004. How does; one know if the stomach has unstapled because i try yo loss weight and cant. Can they go in and repair?

• Dr. McBride

Carmen, Tonya,
      There may be medical and surgical options to help you lose this weight. Everyone is different, and in order to help you understand your options we would need more information about your operation, an upper GI X ray to see if your surgery is still intact and diet records to see if you are still following a gastric bypass diet. I would recommend coming in for an revision surgery evaluation so we can talk through the options. You can call for more information or to make an appointment at 1-800-922-0000.

17. yolanda

I had the the band for 5 years then removed it and had gastric bypass i did well i lost over a 100 pounds but the last year i have gained back almost 30pounds can you have a 3rd surgery

• Dr. McBride

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling to keep your weight off. There may be medical and surgical options to help you lose this weight. In order to help you understand your options we would need to have more information including details of your operation, an upper GI X ray to see if your surgery is still intact and diet records to see if you are still following a gastric bypass diet. I would recommend coming in for an revision surgery evaluation so we can talk through the options.