I Had Bariatric Surgery—Twice

CORRIGAN L. MCBRIDE, MD

CORRIGAN L. MCBRIDE, MD

I’m Corrigan McBride, MD and I am a bariatric surgeon at The Nebraska Medical Center. My story isn’t too different from my patients. About 10 years ago, I was about 75 pounds overweight. I had knee problems. I had started seeing an orthopaedic surgeon who gave me two options—either lose weight or have knee surgery.

Honestly, if I was my own patient, I would have told myself to lose the weight. My cholesterol and my blood sugar were both going up. I was on the path to heart disease, diabetes. I wanted to get to a much healthier place. I wanted to have a family. I needed to lose the weight.

So I had lap band surgery in 2004—and it was a very good tool for me. I lost about 40 pounds, and that was enough to see the health improvements I wanted. My knees didn’t bother me; my cholesterol and blood sugar improved.

And because I had lap band vs. another surgery, I could get pregnant within the next year if I wanted to. With the other surgeries, you have to wait a bit longer—which I didn’t want to do.

Fast-forward a few years: I got married, and gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. Everything was great. But then the band slipped—which is relatively rare, but it does happen. There were a couple of options to re-do the surgery. I decided to have the gastric sleeve–a surgery in which 80 percent of your stomach is removed.  And it’s worked wonderfully—as I’ve lost a significant amount of weight. I’m still losing!

Here’s my point…

I can tell you from personal experience—bariatric surgery is a great weight-loss tool. But there’s nothing magic about these surgeries. Yes, problems can be corrected. But when it comes to weight loss, you still have to count calories. You still have to burn calories. You still have to exercise.

The surgeries perform one important function—they let you take in fewer calories. Your hunger is satisfied with less food. Fabulous! Each surgery limits intake in a different way. But it does happen.

But—as I said–you still need to count calories. There’s no getting around it. You can’t keep eating the way you used to. You’ve got to eat lots of lean protein, lots of vegetables, a few fruits. And you’ve got to exercise if you want to keep losing weight.

Luckily, today we’ve got smartphone apps that can help keep us on track. More about that later. Believe me, if I can do this—lose the weight—so can you. I’m so happy I had bariatric surgery. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

Corrigan McBride, MD

To make an appointment with Corrigan McBride, MD or for a consultation at the Bariatrics Center, please call 800-922-0000.

13 Responses to “I Had Bariatric Surgery—Twice”

1. tina

Would you recommend having my gall bladder removed at the same time as the gastric sleeve surgery

• twilson

Hi Tina… We’re getting in touch with the doctor to have her respond to your question. Thanks for your submission.

• Dr. McBride

Tina
        I do not routinely recommend removing the gallbladder unless you are having symptoms and it is something we should discuss at your evaluation.

2. opal schaupp

I just want to thank Dr. McBride for the great care she gave to me when my band need to be re moved and also ask how long after I get the wound vac off would I have to wait to have the sleeve done and how many days would I be in the hospital for this procedure. Melisa Stade doesn’t do the sleeve in Scottsbluff. Jason Walsch does the gastric by pass. I dont know if I would even consider try a band again. I would appreciate your advice on this matter I am thinking about coming back to Omaha but it is 1000 mile round tripi
    was very satisfied with my care.
    Opal schaupp
    nurselpnc02@gmail.com

• Dr. McBride

Opal-
      In general I would recommend waiting 6 weeks to 6 months after a band is removed before having another weight loss surgery depending on why the band was removed. There are multiple options after a band has come out but in general I would not recommend a new band because of the risk of recurrence of the whatever caused the first band to fail.
      I do not want to share your personal history on the internet but would be happy to talk to you about the options.

3. need help

if you have already had the sleeve, and a year later you need to lose 10 lb. to keep your diabetes from coming back, what would you suggest? exercise, or diet? my tummy is getting bigger, but not the rest of me. thanks

• Dr. McBride

Thanks for the question. I’d recommend both. Diet can help you lose weight, and exercise will improve your overall health whether you lose weight or not. Remember to check with your doctor before making any drastic diet or exercise changes

4. Pamela

In 2001 I was 374lbs and had gastric bypass surgery. I had great sucess with it and lost nearly 200lbs. Over the last 13 years like you, I have been married, brought 2 children into the world, divorced, engaged, lost 2 beautiful children and then brought one more amazing child into the world. Over the years I have gained and lost and gained and lost. I have tried everything, exercise, all the right foods, water, and I loose 10 to 20lbs and now at 37 years old I can’t seem to do it. Would I be a canidate for any of the weight loss surgeries now? Would anyone be willing to help me?

• Nebraska Med

Pamela, we’re so sorry for all the hardships you’ve been through over the years. It’s hard for us to say here whether you’d be a candidate, but we’d certainly love to talk with you (don’t worry – no obligation or charge) and see if there’s a way we can help. Feel free to email us at info@nebraskamed.com and we can arrange for a member of Dr. McBride’s team to call you – or just call us directly at 1-855-412-1300. Thanks for reaching out to us, we hope to hear from you.

5. Elizabeth Tourlamain

Can any one help me

I had a Gastric Sleeve in 2011 I was 238 lbs I lost 84 pounds at first then my weight is gradually creeping up I diet and exercise and drink the water my weight today is 182 pounds did I choose the wright Bariatric Surgery. My sister and my Nice have had a Hypnotic gastric band and are loosing a lot of weight with this would It be safe for me to have this done evin thow I had a sleeve done.
    Please can you help me.

Regards
    Liz

6. Nebraska Med

Hi Liz, it’s hard for us to say whether you’d be a candidate or not from here. As you might know, there’s a lot that goes into determining whether a person is a candidate for surgery. There are other non-surgical weight loss options that might be worth exploring as well. You can give us a call in the Bariatrics Center and we can discuss a few options on the phone or help you make an appointment if you’d like to come in. You can call us directly at 1-855-419-5281

7. Theresa Young

I had the gastric bypass 22yrs ago and am gradually putting weight on in the last 4yrs. Can I have it done again what are my options, I also have live problems I don’t want to die from a fatty liver.

• Nebraska Med

Hi Theresa,
      There are certainly more options now than there were 22 years ago, but it’s hard for us to say what option (if any) would be best for you without more info. There are a lot of factors that determine which course is best. We’d be happy to talk with you on the phone or help you make an appointment. Give us a call at 1-855-419-5281 or email info@nebraskamed.com and we’ll get you connected with one of our experts from the bariatrics center.