I Had Bariatric Surgery—Twice

Corrigan McBride, MD, a bariatric surgeon, has herself undergone weight loss surgery two times.

Corrigan McBride, MD

I’m Corrigan McBride, MD and I am a bariatric surgeon at The Nebraska Medical Center. My story isn’t too different from my patients. About 10 years ago, I was about 75 pounds overweight. I had knee problems. I had started seeing an orthopaedic surgeon who gave me two options—either lose weight or have knee surgery.

Honestly, if I was my own patient, I would have told myself to lose the weight. My cholesterol and my blood sugar were both going up. I was on the path to heart disease, diabetes.

I wanted to get to a much healthier place. I wanted to have a family. I needed to lose the weight.

So I had lap band surgery in 2004—and it was a very good tool for me. I lost about 40 pounds, and that was enough to see the health improvements I wanted. My knees didn’t bother me; my cholesterol and blood sugar improved.

And because I had lap band vs. another surgery, I could get pregnant within the next year if I wanted to. With the other surgeries, you have to wait a bit longer—which I didn’t want to do.

Fast-forward a few years: I got married, and gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. Everything was great. But then the band slipped—which is relatively rare, but it does happen. There were a couple of options to re-do the surgery. I decided to have the gastric sleeve–a surgery in which 80 percent of your stomach is removed.  And it’s worked wonderfully—as I’ve lost a significant amount of weight. I’m still losing!

Here’s my point…

I can tell you from personal experience—bariatric surgery is a great weight-loss tool. But there’s nothing magic about these surgeries. Yes, problems can be corrected. But when it comes to weight loss, you still have to count calories. You still have to burn calories. You still have to exercise.

The surgeries perform one important function—they let you take in fewer calories. Your hunger is satisfied with less food. Fabulous! Each surgery limits intake in a different way. But it does happen.

But—as I said–you still need to count calories. There’s no getting around it. You can’t keep eating the way you used to. You’ve got to eat lots of lean protein, lots of vegetables, a few fruits. And you’ve got to exercise if you want to keep losing weight.

Luckily, today we’ve got smartphone apps that can help keep us on track. More about that later. Believe me, if I can do this—lose the weight—so can you. I’m so happy I had bariatric surgery. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

Corrigan McBride, MD

To make an appointment with Corrigan McBride, MD or for a consultation at the Bariatrics Center, please call 800-922-0000.

54 Responses to “I Had Bariatric Surgery—Twice”

1. tina

Would you recommend having my gall bladder removed at the same time as the gastric sleeve surgery

• twilson

Hi Tina… We’re getting in touch with the doctor to have her respond to your question. Thanks for your submission.

Tina
        I do not routinely recommend removing the gallbladder unless you are having symptoms and it is something we should discuss at your evaluation.

2. opal schaupp

I just want to thank Dr. McBride for the great care she gave to me when my band need to be re moved and also ask how long after I get the wound vac off would I have to wait to have the sleeve done and how many days would I be in the hospital for this procedure. Melisa Stade doesn’t do the sleeve in Scottsbluff. Jason Walsch does the gastric by pass. I dont know if I would even consider try a band again. I would appreciate your advice on this matter I am thinking about coming back to Omaha but it is 1000 mile round tripi
    was very satisfied with my care.
    Opal schaupp
    nurselpnc02@gmail.com

Opal-
      In general I would recommend waiting 6 weeks to 6 months after a band is removed before having another weight loss surgery depending on why the band was removed. There are multiple options after a band has come out but in general I would not recommend a new band because of the risk of recurrence of the whatever caused the first band to fail.
      I do not want to share your personal history on the internet but would be happy to talk to you about the options.

3. need help

if you have already had the sleeve, and a year later you need to lose 10 lb. to keep your diabetes from coming back, what would you suggest? exercise, or diet? my tummy is getting bigger, but not the rest of me. thanks

• Dr. McBride

Thanks for the question. I’d recommend both. Diet can help you lose weight, and exercise will improve your overall health whether you lose weight or not. Remember to check with your doctor before making any drastic diet or exercise changes

4. Pamela

In 2001 I was 374lbs and had gastric bypass surgery. I had great sucess with it and lost nearly 200lbs. Over the last 13 years like you, I have been married, brought 2 children into the world, divorced, engaged, lost 2 beautiful children and then brought one more amazing child into the world. Over the years I have gained and lost and gained and lost. I have tried everything, exercise, all the right foods, water, and I loose 10 to 20lbs and now at 37 years old I can’t seem to do it. Would I be a canidate for any of the weight loss surgeries now? Would anyone be willing to help me?

• Nebraska Med

Pamela, we’re so sorry for all the hardships you’ve been through over the years. It’s hard for us to say here whether you’d be a candidate, but we’d certainly love to talk with you (don’t worry – no obligation or charge) and see if there’s a way we can help. Feel free to email us at info@nebraskamed.com and we can arrange for a member of Dr. McBride’s team to call you – or just call us directly at 1-855-412-1300. Thanks for reaching out to us, we hope to hear from you.

5. Elizabeth Tourlamain

Can any one help me

I had a Gastric Sleeve in 2011 I was 238 lbs I lost 84 pounds at first then my weight is gradually creeping up I diet and exercise and drink the water my weight today is 182 pounds did I choose the wright Bariatric Surgery. My sister and my Nice have had a Hypnotic gastric band and are loosing a lot of weight with this would It be safe for me to have this done evin thow I had a sleeve done.
    Please can you help me.

Regards
    Liz

6. Nebraska Med

Hi Liz, it’s hard for us to say whether you’d be a candidate or not from here. As you might know, there’s a lot that goes into determining whether a person is a candidate for surgery. There are other non-surgical weight loss options that might be worth exploring as well. You can give us a call in the Bariatrics Center and we can discuss a few options on the phone or help you make an appointment if you’d like to come in. You can call us directly at 1-855-419-5281

7. Theresa Young

I had the gastric bypass 22yrs ago and am gradually putting weight on in the last 4yrs. Can I have it done again what are my options, I also have live problems I don’t want to die from a fatty liver.

• Nebraska Med

Hi Theresa,
      There are certainly more options now than there were 22 years ago, but it’s hard for us to say what option (if any) would be best for you without more info. There are a lot of factors that determine which course is best. We’d be happy to talk with you on the phone or help you make an appointment. Give us a call at 1-855-419-5281 or email info@nebraskamed.com and we’ll get you connected with one of our experts from the bariatrics center.

• Lisa Trupp

Which is the best bypass to have? I’m going to have it done but I’m confused as to which one is best! Sleeve, lap band or the original bypass?

• Nebraska Med

Lisa, each surgery has different considerations. What might be best for you might not be best for another patient. Our experts can help answer specific questions for you. We’d be happy to talk through some options with you. Give us a call at 1-855-419-5281 or email info@nebraskamed.com. It’s free and there’s no obligation at all.

8. April Boyea

Hi,
    I had gastric bypass 12 years ago…..I was only 16! I have had alot of problems since then…is there anyway i can have another surgery? Any suggestions?? the weight has been put back on and i’ve had twins since then….any advice would help!

• Nebraska Med

Hi April, while it’s possible that another surgery might be right for you, it’s impossible for us to say here. As you may remember from you first operation, there are a lot of things to consider before surgery. We also have a lot of non-surgical options that might be better. We’d need to meet you in person and get some information about you specifically. Everyone is different! Give us a call at 1-855-419-5281 or email info@nebraskamed.com. It’s free and there’s no obligation at all.

9. nicole

I had gastric bypass surgery about 15 years ago had 3 kids I can’t seem to loose weight like when I had surgery can I have the surgery again or one of these new surgeries they came out with since than

• Nebraska Med

Hi Nicole, there are a lot of factors that play into that decision. It’s a hard one for us to assess online. We’d be happy to talk with you on the phone or make an appointment if you’re interested. You can call us at 1-800-922-0000 and we’ll be happy to help.

10. Erika Edwards

I have had a baby in 2011 and was put on an iud I got down 2 175 now I’m 247 which is hard for me bc I was on the iud over 2 yes so I have had gastric bypass in 2009 and what amount of calories should I be in taking with exercise and can I get back 2 175 bc I miss being that small.

• Nebraska Med

Hi Erika,
      Thanks for the question. It’s a tough one for us to answer via the blog, but we’d be happy to talk with you one on one. As you can probably guess, there are a number of factors that can be part of a decision like that. If you’re still in contact with the team that did your first surgery, they may be able to help answer questions about follow up procedures. We’re also happy to help here at Nebraska Medicine too. Feel free to call us at 1-800-922-0000.

Ms. Perez-
      It sounds like you are considering a revision of your gastric sleeve. The sleeve can be revised. If the sleeve is too large it can be re-done to a smaller sleeve. It can also be converted to a gastric bypass. These options are usually considered if a patient has either gastroesophageal reflux disease (otherwise know as heartburn or reflux) or wants to lose more weight to achieve their desired health benefits.

11. Vikram Cherukapally

Hi,
    I am from India . I was around 291 pounds in Mid 2012 , had a sleeve gastroctomy in July 2012 and lost around 80 ponds in 6 months after surgery. However due to stress at work and other factors, have regained some weight and weigh around 235 pounds now. I go to gym 5 days a week. But i some how am unable to reach my goal of around 180 pounds. Was just curious to know if i can get this surgery re done.Appreciate help and suggestion in this regard.

• Dr. McBride

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling to keep your weight off. Sometimes revision surgery is an option. The revisions can include re-doing the sleeve if it has dilated or gotten bigger or converting it to a gastric bypass or to a duodenal switch operations. There are advantages and disadvantages with all revision operations that we could discuss with patients during a consultation. Not all insurance companies will pay for a second surgery so you should check with your insurance company to see if they have any special requirements.

12. joanne

Hi, i had bariatric bypass in 2005 and went from 127.8kg to 62kg. In the past 10 months i have had my weight go back to 107kg. My question is are you able to have (1) bypass surgery again, or (2) can it be reversed and the sleeve done? I am trying to find the best solution for me. Thankyou in advance for your reply

• Dr. McBride

Joanne, This amount of weight re-gain after a gastric bypass is unusual. Depending on the surgical technique used at the time of your surgery it may mean that your stomach has “stretched”. You can not have the gastric bypass “re-done” and we do not usually reverse the gastric bypass and convert to a sleeve, but there may be revision surgery options available. You would need some testing to see how big your stomach is now and a consultation with a dietician to see if you are still eating appropriately for a gastric bypass patient and then we could discuss if there are any surgery options which may help get you back on track. If we can help, please let us know. You can call 1-800-922-0000 for information about scheduling an appointment.

13. L-Jay

Dr. McBride,
    I had the sleeve gastrectomy in December of 2012. Since then, my mother passed and stress and depression kicked in. I stopped smoking and have gained 27lbs. What can I do to fix this? Can I have another surgery?

• Dr. McBride

L-Jay, sorry to hear I am sorry to hear about your mother. Stress can certainly impact weight. Sometimes revision surgery is an option. The revisions can include re-doing the sleeve if it has dilated or gotten bigger or converting it to a gastric bypass or to a duodenal switch operations. There are advantages and disadvantages with all revision operations that we could discuss at a consultation.

14. Carla Mickelson

Dr. McBride,

I have been obese my entire life max weight 340, had a gastric bypass in 2004 (ruo-n-y), lower body lift on 2005. Stress being the killer, I had a hole in the stomach pouch. It was repaired and stomach tightened in 2007.

Fast forward to the fall of 2011, I was diagnosed with MS. I was hospitalized in 2014 over 10 times due to MS, stress and contracting staff/ mercer while in one of my longer hospitalizations. Although my medication list has increased everything basically has stayed the same with the exception of my weight. I have gained back almost 100 pounds

Dr. McBride, is there a weight loss surgery you would recommend with my specific conditions?

I currently am on the East coast (since 1969) and I am willing to travel. As of February 2015, my long term disability has been approved.

Thank you for your time and I look for to your response.

Carla Mickelson

Hi Carla,
      For patients who have had previous weight loss surgery and are struggling to keep weight off, the first steps are to work with a dietician and behavioral program to eliminate all eating patterns and behaviors that might be sabotaging weight loss efforts. Physical activity is also important. I acknowledge this is challenging with your MS but with physical therapy or skilled therapists hopefully options can be found. If there is something wrong with your gastric bypass such as a staple line break down or if your small stomach has reconnected to the part of your stomach you should not be using a revision surgery can be done to help you lose additional weight. If there is nothing wrong with your anatomy then surgery is less likely to be helpful. In general I would not recommend traveling long distances for a surgeon because you need good supporting in a program to be successful and that is best done locally. I would recommend going to the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery website (www.ASMBS.org) find a surgeon and search for someone in your area who performs revision surgery.
      I hope this helps!
      -Dr. McBride

15. Tonya

Hi Dr.

I had gastric bypass in 2006. I Lost over 100 pounds and stabalized at about 140. In 2013 I had gained about 45 pounds back and went and supposedly had a revision surgery. It didnt work at all.I lost about 10 pounds and that’s it. I’m back up to 196 and going into depression. I have tried diet pills and exercise and started eating healthier but nothing is working. Is there am chance of me being able to have another revision? I think the doctor that did my revision basically only removed the portion of my stomach that I wasn’t using and did not do anything to give me that restriction.please advise on what I can do?

Thanks

16. carmen geniz

I have gained weight back after having gastro-bypass nearly 2004. How does; one know if the stomach has unstapled because i try yo loss weight and cant. Can they go in and repair?

Carmen, Tonya,
      There may be medical and surgical options to help you lose this weight. Everyone is different, and in order to help you understand your options we would need more information about your operation, an upper GI X ray to see if your surgery is still intact and diet records to see if you are still following a gastric bypass diet. I would recommend coming in for an revision surgery evaluation so we can talk through the options. You can call for more information or to make an appointment at 1-800-922-0000.

17. yolanda

I had the the band for 5 years then removed it and had gastric bypass i did well i lost over a 100 pounds but the last year i have gained back almost 30pounds can you have a 3rd surgery

• Dr. McBride

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling to keep your weight off. There may be medical and surgical options to help you lose this weight. In order to help you understand your options we would need to have more information including details of your operation, an upper GI X ray to see if your surgery is still intact and diet records to see if you are still following a gastric bypass diet. I would recommend coming in for an revision surgery evaluation so we can talk through the options.

18. Maritzah

Okay so I had my lap band in for about 2 years lost at least 30 pounds and gained the weight back. So now I’m thinking about the sleeve surgery, I have taken xrays and other test to make sure the band was okay. How long will it take for the doctor to approve me for my next surgery?

19. onieda

Hi Dr. Mcbride. I had a RY gastric bypass in 2002 and lost about 120 lbs. I didnt have a support group at the time. In 2011 I had a hystrectomy. I begin working out and eating right, but the weight gain started and i have almost gain back all my weight. The Doctor that perform my gastric bypass Is no longer a bariatric surgeon, and i wanted to know what are my chances of having revision surgery, maybe a duodenal switch

• Dr. McBride

I’m sorry to hear that you have not been able to keep your weight off. There are multiple reasons this can happen depending on your eating and exercise habits but also depending on the surgical technique used by your surgeon in 2002.
      In order to determine if a surgical revision is possible, I would need to review the operative note from your surgery to review the surgical technique and staplers used. You would also need to have tests to see if you gastric bypass was still intact or if it had streached out.
      Once I know those things we can talk about the risks and benefits of surgical revision including the duodenal switch. I’d be happy to make an appointment with you – you can call us at 1-800-922-0000 or make an appointment via our website http://www.nebraskamed.com.

20. Janet

Dr. Mcbride,
    Is it possible to have the gastric sleeve done more than once?

21. Tanya Arriazola

I got sleeved in Dec.2012 my weight was 183 ,but I’m 4’10 .I am 147 now and never met my goal of 125.I have stayed at 147 for the past year .What can I do to start loosing again? I know people that have been over 250 and are wearing size 8.I went from a 18 to 12-14 doesn’t seem fair.

• m.kascoi

hi Tanya, I know what you mean I’m in the same boat and I don’t know if I did something wrong with my over eating but! really I didn’t if just been very stressed and I’m platitude also I’m 4.9.5 ft tall only too so I’m very upset I cry alot about it I work out at least 3/5 a week and only eat grilled foods nothing fried I still have that reflex asufaugas every night I’m thinking iv might of stretched it btw I had the sleeve ,I started out with my pregnancy weight I got up to 207lb I’m down to well was down to about 165lb an now for the past half year I’m putting on weight slowly I’m very upset about it of all the hardship we had to indore for getting out life back I my self before I got pregnant in my thirty years of my life before that I was a pretty thin person about 115lb on bad day so you see where I’m going with my story iv been strogaling for over 17 years almost my one and only mirrical baby boy wiall be gradgulatig next year please if you get any answers that might help me please share… oh yes the weight if put back on is 10lbs…

22. Petunia

Hello Dr. I am 35 and have been contemplating having the lap band procedure for years. I have been 265 for 7 + years. Recently my doctor said my gallbladder will need to be removed. Can I have both procedures done at the same time? I have had gout, and planter fasciitis due to my weight.

• Dr. McBride

If you are considering bariatric surgery sometimes it can safely be combined with gallbladder surgery on a case by case basis.

It depends on your size, your previous surgeries and the exact bariatric operation you want to have done.

In general I do not recommend combining a Lap Band ® or other adjustable gastric banding surgery with gallbladder surgery because the Lap Band ® is a artificial device and has a higher risk of infection if you combine it with an operation such as gallbladder surgery, but it is something that can be discussed at your initial consultation.

23. Peachis

This story is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing. I think its awesome that you’ve had this surgery and you help people accomplish the same thing. I have my first appointment in a couple weeks and I am so anxious and really hope that I get to do this. I have been overweight all my life, and I’m ready to take the next step.

24. m.kascoi

Hi Dr.McBride my question is I feel like my sleeve has stretched but not nesseseraly from food I don’t drink pops but I did drink mineral water that did contain a lot of gas like you what the term word oh sorr y bubbly waters oh OK corbonated I think iv might of spelled it wrong llol ….. please tell me if I can do anything to retighten my sleeve I feel like I could eat a whole plate of food at one meal which I never did the I would accuratelay eat that one plate of foood through out the day in spiting it into 3/4 meals and then I would snack on nuts and protein bars im in on my third year this fall 2015 and I’m beeting my self up over my failure I wieghed to start my choosing sleeve over the g/bypass I guess I was afraid 205lbs the day of surgery I was 187 lbs and went down to 165lbs and now slowly in a half a year if put back 8/12 lbs is weird one day I’m 174lbs and a couple of days letter I’m 177lbs btw I also have a problem with acid reflex and really bad case of IRS what can I do I have no support or any family that I can talk to about this please I need your advice….

25. m.kascoi

hi hello I just wanted to know can I have stretching my sleeve I think I have it stretched drenched not from over eating over eating but from drinking the carbonated non surgery drinks I’m feeling hungry all the time and most of all at night I can’t sleep do to my acute acid reflex and a really bad case of IBS is the a way I can fix it without sugary and in total if only lost about 30/40lbs going on my third year this fall 2015 please advice???

26. Carol

Hi, I had gastric 12 years ago I never lost a ton of weight only 30/35lb recently I went back to see if I could get a revision and I found out that my surgeon left a metal clamp inside of me and it cause an infection inside my stomach and I have to take medication now. I was told that they only person that could look at my pouch to make sure it was ok was the Dr. Who originally did the surgery when I went to him he stated that the pouch was fine and it was nothing he could do. How can I trust the opinion of someone who left metal clamps in me the told me it wasn’t a big deal? Should I let go or seek for a second opioion and if so how do I find a new surgeon?

• Nebraska Med

Hi Carol, we would be happy to speak with you and offer a second opinion. It’s hard to share details here until we know more about you and your health history. If we can help, give us a call at 1-800-922-0000. We look forward to hearing from you!

27. Mario

i had gastric bypass in 2004, I did well with the surgery but since I’ve put weight back on and my knee problems and back problems have come back. After having the full gastric bypass is it possible to have a band or sleeve procedure done?

28. MLogan

Hi, I need help..I’ve had a revision from a lap band to a gastric sleeve and the only weight loss I experienced was the fast before the sleeve surgery. I have had my thyroid removed about 5 years aback b/c of cancer and am now up to 200mcg of cynthroid. Long story short my weight before the sleeve was 267 and its now at 286…and its been almost 2 years since the surgery. I cannot lose weight. I’ve also recently started the HCG diet (@ months) eating only broccoli & chicken or salmon most days of the week and making a nutribullet smoothie with kale/spinach, goji berries, chia seeds, almonds blue berries and any seasonal fruit in the mornings. My weight is just not moving. I don’t understand whats wrong? Its actually severely depressing when you do everything right.

29. juanita gobzalez

Hi i was woundering if i can have the surgery i am 39 yrs old i’v had 2 spine surgerys for a bolging disk if like part of my weight is my problem with pain i’m about 84 pounds over weigh and im only 5 feet tall and i was told by my doctor that i was boader line diabetic my leavel is 5.9 so please let me know your responds it would mean alot to me

• Nebraska Med

Hi Juanita,
      There are a lot of factors which can determine whether a person is a good candidate for surgery. We also offer non-surgical approaches to weight loss which can be a great fit for some people. We’d be happy to talk more with you about your options, especially factoring in the back surgery you mentioned. If you’d like to give us a call at 1-800-922-0000, we can get a little more info and answer some more of your questions.